Thursday, June 13, 2013

On The Road Again

While it is very sad to be away from home this summer, one of the perks of researching at A&M is that College Station is within a roughly 3 hours radius of all my friends in Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Waco!

So as I looked at my calendar to plan weekend road trips, I decided to update my driving playlist. There are few things more frustrating than driving across a state, finally finding a good station, and then driving out of range!

So here's my new and updated Road Trip Playlist:

1. needtobreathe

 I could listen to needtobreathe in almost any situation, at almost any time and it feels right. So of course their discography belongs in my playlist! Now, I own three hours of their music alone, so I had to cull my favorites to prevent a needtobreathe monopoly of my stereo!

2. TED Talks

Maybe this reveals my inner nerd, but I love TED Talks. They're the perfect length to pique your interest in a topic, but not long enough to lose my attention!

Some of the ones coming with me to Austin this weekend are:

Taylor Wilson: My radical plan for small nuclear fission reactors
Thomas Insel: Toward a new understanding of mental illness
Elon Musk: The mind behind Tesla, SpaceX, Solar City...
Allan Savory: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change

I'm a girl of diverse interests, what can I say?

3.  Brian Regan, "Pirates and Pilots"
 "Can you imagine a better ending to this story? Landing in Charlotte with luggage and dry socks! squish squish....squish squish squish"
Every time I travel, by air, land or sea, this routine always pops into my head. And Brian Regan does it much better justice than I ever could...

4. FM Static



Nine months of the year I wouldn't really consider myself an FM Static fan, but once summer rolls around, something in my soul longs to listen to Trevor McNevan's side project with reckless abandon. Pop punk and summer just go together like that I guess. Favorites songs include Tonight, Take Me As I Am, My Brain Says Stop, But My Hearts Says Go! and Last Train Home.

Bonus (Guilty Pleasure) = Taylor Swift. 

I'm unashamed to admit that I listen to Taylor Swift from time to time. Driving happens to be one of those times. Let's be real- I'm never going to fall asleep at the wheel when I'm singing along to You Belong With Me, 22, or I Knew You Were Trouble, complete with goat screeching, of course.  





So yeah. That's what I'll be listening to this weekend (and probably a few other weekends this summer)

What do you listen to when you drive? 
Books on tape? Country radio? Celine Dion? 
And what's your driving-by-yourself musical guilty pleasure? ;-)

Until next time, Ceci 

No comments:

Post a Comment